A-Z Guide to Community Information
24-hour call back line - 860-285-1805

This line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may leave your non-emergency message, question or concern and someone from Information Services will return your call within 24 hours.


Please click here to search by alphabet.



A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q-R   S   T   U   V   W






The American Association of Retired Persons meets the first Tuesday of the month except during July, August and November at the L.P. Wilson Community Center. For additional information, contact Senior Services at 860-285-1992.


Absentee Ballots

Prior to elections and referenda, absentee ballots are available to qualified registered voters at the Town Clerk’s Office. An application for an absentee ballot can be mailed upon request. Please call 860-285-1902.


Accident Reports – Automobile

Most insurance companies contact the Police Department directly to request motor vehicle accident reports on personal injury or damage claims exceeding $1,000.  Copies of the report can be obtained at the Public Safety Complex, 340 Bloomfield Avenue, at the cost of $0.50 per copied page.  Each incident is given a case number at the scene.  Please ask for the report by the case number or by the date and location of the accident. For additional information, please call 860-688-5273.


Adult Education

The Adult Education program serves the educational needs of adult residents sixteen years of age or older through a variety of evening programs offered each spring and fall at Windsor High School.  They include high school completion, adult basic literacy, English language and citizenship instruction as well as general interest courses in the areas of arts & crafts, computers, dance, health & fitness, home & garden, languages, literature & writing, money management and personal growth and recreation.  High school completion, adult basic literacy and English language instruction are available during the day at the L.P. Wilson Community Center.  Free child care is also available during the morning classes. For further information, call 860-687-2000, ext. 273.


Agricultural Experiment Station (State of CT)
Located at 153 Cook Hill Road, this agency will answer questions related to agriculture or home gardening. In addition, they will diagnose plant and soil problems, identify insects and test ticks for Lyme disease. Their services are provided to Windsor residents free of charge. For additional information, please call 860-683-4977.


Air Guns, Air Rifles, Bow and Arrow
Regulated by Chapter 12 of the Windsor Town Ordinance. Contact the Police Department for further information at 860-688-5273.



Windsor Volunteer Ambulance, Inc. is located at the Safety Complex, 340 Bloomfield Avenue.  Please call 9-1-1 for emergencies. For general information, please call 860-688-8244.


Animal Problems

The Town Animal Control Officer is located at the Safety Complex, 340 Bloomfield Avenue. For information, please call 860-688-5273 ext.556

·         If you need assistance with the removal of a dead animal from a town roadway, please call 860-285-1855 weekdays from 7:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m. or if on a state roadway, please call 860-688-4848

·         If you need assistance evenings and/or weekends, please call the Police Department at their non-emergency number at 860-688-5273

·         For assistance with removal of a wild animal from your house or yard, contact the State Game Warden at 860-424-3011


Appeal of Property Assessment and Real Property Taxes

The Board of Assessment Appeals, which is composed of three private citizens, meets twice a year to hear appeals for those disputing their assessments.  The September meeting is usually held on a Saturday and is exclusively for motor vehicles.  The March meetings are determined annually by the number of individuals who wish to appeal and are open for any type of property appeal, real estate, motor vehicle and personal property.  For the March meetings, pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes, applications must be filed with the Town Assessor starting on February 1st and filed by no later than February 20th.  Failure to comply with this requirement constitutes a waiver to meet with the Board for that year.  For more information call 860-285-1817 or visit assessor.



If you have concerns about asbestos in a product or home, please contact Windsor’s Health and Environment team at 860-285-1823.


Automobile Emissions Inspection Program

The State of Connecticut requires emissions inspections of automobiles and trucks. For locations of inspection stations or additional information, please call 1-888-828-8399 or visit the website at ctemissions.





Bake sales

Guidelines and a temporary food permit for non-profit groups conducting bake sales may be obtained from the Health Department. For additional information, please call 860-285-1823.



For information regarding recreational basketball leagues for children and adults, please call Recreation at 860-285-1990 or visit the town website at recreation.



Beekeepers must register all beehives with the Connecticut State Entomologist. If a homeowner is having a problem with bees, they may call the Agricultural Experiment Station located at 153 Cook Road at 860-683-4977.


Birth Certificates

Birth certificates are available in the Town Clerk’s Office in the town where the birth occurred, the town where the mother was residing at the time of the birth, or at the Connecticut State Health Department, Vital Statistics Unit. Certified copies are $20 each.  Birth certificates may also be issued in a "wallet size."  The fee for this size is $15.  For additional information, please call 860-285-1902.


Board of Education (see phone list at the end of the A to Z Guide)

The administrative offices of the Board of Education are located at 601 Matianuck Avenue. Phone 860-687-2000 / Fax 860-687-2009. The Board of Education consists of nine members who serve two year terms. The Board sets policy for the public schools and meets the third Tuesday of most months. A current list of Board of Education members is available at the Superintendent’s office at 860-687-2000 ext. 236 or from Information Services at 860-285-1902. The Board of Education’s website is www.windsorct.org. To reach the Superintendent of Schools, call 860-687-2000 x236.


Boards and Commissions

Windsor has approximately 23 Boards and Commissions.  Most members are appointed by the Town Council, as recommended by the Republican or Democratic Town Committees or the Personnel Committee.  To find a description, duties and additional information on each board/commission, please click on www.townofwindsorct.com and click on the Boards and Commissions link found under the Town Government tab at the top of the page. Agendas are posted on the public bulletin board outside of the Council Chambers at the Town Hall 24 hours prior to a meeting, at the offices of the affiliated agency and on the town website. Information regarding scheduled meeting dates can be obtained from the Town Clerk's office at 860-285-1902.


Bottles/Glass Recycling (Also see Recycling)

For information on recycling bottles, glass, cans, cardboard and paper products, please call the transfer station at 860-285-1833 or visit the website at transferstation.


Budget – Town and School

A hard copy of the budget for viewing is available at the Windsor Public Libraries, the Town Manager’s Office and the Town Clerk’s Office in the Town Hall.  The Town's fiscal year runs from July 1 through June 30.  In December or early January, the Town Council sets the budget calendar for the upcoming year.  This calendar lists dates when public input is received, as well as a schedule of budget sessions.  All Town Council meetings on the budget are open to the public. 


Building Permits

Windsor’s building Inspector can be reached at 860-285-1960.  A building permit is a legal document required by State of Connecticut Statute for changes made to real estate.  An application must be filed before beginning construction.  Instructions regarding how to obtain a permit can be viewed online at building.


Bus Transportation

The Connecticut Transit District services Windsor. Bus schedules are available by calling the Transit District at 860-525-9181 or by going online at www.cttransit.com.  For the hearing impaired, please call 860-727-8196.  Bus schedules are available inside the Windsor Chamber of Commerce office.


Burial Certificates

Windsor Sextons return burial and disinterment permits to the Town Clerk’s Office, where a database of information is maintained.  For additional information, please call Information Services at 860-285-1902.


Business Registration

In compliance with State of Connecticut Statutes, any Windsor business that is not incorporated or named after the owner must register with the Town Clerk’s Office.  A trade name certificate must be signed by the principal person or persons and must be notarized.  The filing fee is $5 per page. New businesses should check with the Planning & Zoning department at 860-285-1980 to avoid future zoning issues.  Please call the Town Clerk's Office at 860-285-1902 if you have any questions.





Cable Television

Windsor is served by Comcast at 1-860-438-8472 or at 1-800-934-6489 (headquarters) or www.Comcast.com.  Channel 5, WIN-TV (the public access channel), and Channel 95 (education/how-to-channel) are operated from the L.P. Wilson Community Center, 599 Matianuck Avenue.  For more information about WIN-TV, call 860-688-2626 or go to their website at www.win-tv.org.  Channel 96, WG-TV (Windsor Government Television), is operated from the Town Hall.  For more information about WG-TV, call 860-285-1838.



Before digging a hole or excavating on private or public property, call for the location of underground utilities at 1-203-281-5435 or 811.


Caring Connection

Located at 330 Windsor Avenue, the Caring Connection is a long-term community health center for elders, disabled adults and respite care for caregivers.  Hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  A professional staff provides health monitoring, medication management, family counseling and resource information, therapeutic recreation, a nutritious noontime meal, two snacks and door-to-door transportation.   For additional information regarding this service, call 860-547-0251, fax 860-547-0254 or visit the website at caringconnection.


Cemeteries in Windsor


·         Elm Grove Cemetery, Poquonock Avenue - 860-688-3228

·         Mt. St. Benedict, West Wolcott Road - 860-242-0738

·         Northwood Cemetery, Matianuck Avenue - 860-722-6545

·         Palisado Cemetery, Palisado Avenue - 860-688-2200

·         Riverside Cemetery, East Street - 860-688-2200

·         Veterans Cemetery, East Street - 860-688-2200

·         St. Joseph’s Cemetery, Poquonock Avenue - 860-683-9566

·         Tikvoh Chadoshoh, Clubhouse Road - 860-688-9989

·         Ye Olde Poquonock Burial Grounds, Marshall Phelps Road - 860-688-3813



The State of Connecticut’s census data and other sources of current census data are available by contacting the reference desk of the Windsor Library at 860-285-1918 or Planning Department at 860-285-1980.


Certificate of Occupancy

A Certificate of Occupancy, sometimes referred to as a "C.O." is the final step in executing a building permit. A certificate of occupancy is issued after the final inspection. No new structure may be used and no addition or building may be occupied until a "C.O." is issued.  A Certificate of Approval is issued after inspections for all other building permits such as electrical or mechanical permits are obtained.  For additional information, please call 860-285-1960 or visit the website at building. 


Chamber of Commerce

The Chamber is located at 261 Broad Street (across from the Post Office). Information regarding the Chamber, programs and membership is available by calling 860-688-5165.   Additional information can be found on their website at www.windsorcc.org.


Civic Organization List

A list of Civic organizations is available at the Town Clerk’s Office or Town Manager's Office. For more information, please call 860-285-1902 or 860-285-1800.


Civil Preparedness (Emergency Management)

A state mandated local volunteer organization whose mission is to maximize the survival of people, prevent and/or minimize injuries, and preserve property and resources by responding to natural, technical or man-made disasters.  To learn more about volunteering, contact Mr. Mike Pepe at 860-285-1823.


Community Center

The L.P. Wilson Community Center is located at 599 Matianuck Avenue. The office hours are Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Meeting rooms are available and performing arts, ceramics and senior citizen programs are held at the facility. For more information call 860-285-1990.  


Commuter Parking Lots

·         Bloomfield Avenue & I-91 - Exit 37

·         Poquonock Avenue & I-91 - Exit 38

·         Archer Road & I-91 - Exit 39

·         Putnam Highway across from Columbia Road - Exit 35

·         Windsor Avenue at Faneuil Street - Exit 35

·         Windsor Center at Mechanic Street - Exit 36




Public Works

Complaints regarding roadways, streets, sink holes, drainage problems, snowplowing, mailbox damage and lawn damage due to snowplowing, street light repairs, median maintenance, parks maintenance (picnic tables, litter, property damage, benches, bleachers) and other miscellaneous items, please contact the Public Works Department at 860-285-1855.  Once the complaint is received by Public Works, it will then be added into the system (See Click Fix) which logs all citizen complaints in order of date received and assigns these projects to various personnel within this department.  Citizens can also log their own complaints by going to the Town of Windsor’s website at www.townofwindsorct.com and clicking the “See, Click, Fix” icon on the front page. Please keep in mind that some repairs/maintenance cannot be made until the weather permits us to do so.  For instance, if a snow plow has damaged your lawn in the process of snow plowing, it will be repaired as soon as the weather permits.  Most of these types of repairs are scheduled during the Spring months.


Health Department

The Health and Environment team handles all complaints related to food illness, communicable or infectious diseases and environmental issues.  Please call 860-285-1823.



For school-related complaints, please contact the Superintendent of Schools at 860-687-2000, ext. 236, or refer to the listing at the end of the A to Z Guide for department phone numbers.

Contact the Town Manager's office at 860-285-1800 for any unresolved complaints involving town services or town property or you can lodge a complaint via email at TownManager@townofwindsorct.com.



Free compost is available for residents at the Windsor/Bloomfield Landfill. For information and availability call 860-285-1833.


Concerts on the Green

Weekly summer concerts are held on the Town Green on Thursday evenings from 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. For additional information, call the Windsor Chamber of Commerce at 860-688-5165 or visit www.windsorcc.org. In the event of bad weather, concerts are usually rescheduled to the following Tuesday.




·         Greater Windsor Probate Court, 1540 Sullivan Avenue, South Windsor - 860-644-2511 ext. 371

·         Superior Court in Hartford, 95 Washington Street - 860-548-2700 or Superior Court

·         Superior Court in Enfield, 111 Phoenix Avenue - 860-741-3727 or Superior Court

·         Federal Court in Hartford, 450 Main Street - 860-240-3200 or Federal Court





Day Care Center

Windsor Discovery Center is a nationally accredited child care program operated by the Town of Windsor since 1980 serving children ages six weeks through 12 years.  It is housed in the Milo W. Peck Child Development Center located at 114 Palisado Avenue. This Center is also home to Windsor’s Montessori School and the Windsor Parent Center.  For information, please call 860-285-1400 or visit their website at www.townofwindsorct.com/discovery.  These programs are accredited by the National Association of Young Children.


Day Care Centers Information Line:

2-1-1 or 800-505-1000


Death Certificates

Windsor sextons submit burial and disinterment permits to the Town Clerk's office where a database of information is maintained.  For additional information, please call Information Services at 860-285-1902.


Department of Transportation (State of Connecticut)


State roads are plowed and maintained by the State of Connecticut’s Department of Transportation.  State roads in Windsor are:

·         Route 75 (Poquonock Avenue)

·         Route 305 (Bloomfield Avenue)

·         Route 159 (Windsor Avenue, Broad Street and Palisado Avenue)

·         Route 178 (Park Avenue)

·         Route 218 (Cottage Grove Road)

·         Route 187 (Blue Hills Avenue Ext.)


To reach their maintenance garage in Windsor, please call 688-4848.



Windsor’s Dial-a-Ride provides transportation for senior citizens 60 years and older and adults receiving social security disability benefits who are without other means of daytime transportation. The service provides Windsor residents with in-town transportation to medical appointments, grocery shopping, banking, senior activities, beauty/barber appointments, the library, etc. Transportation is available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM. - 4:30 PM. Reservations must be made by 12:00 noon at least two days prior to the transport date. To reserve a ride, please dial 860-285-1846 and leave your name, address, telephone number, destination and the time of your appointment, including how long you expect to be there. Your message will be recorded. The bus driver will call you the morning of your ride to advise you of your pickup time.  If you have not received your confirmation, call the morning of your ride or to cancel your ride, please call 860-285-1996 as soon as possible.


Dial-a-Ride for (Out-of-Town)

Windsor's Dial-a-Ride service also provides transportation for out-of-town appointments.  Rides are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM to surrounding towns (see list below). Wheelchair transportation can be accommodated on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays to the towns of Bloomfield, West Hartford and Hartford.  Please call 860-285-1992 at least seven days in advance of your scheduled appointment. Please let us know if you will be using a wheelchair, guide dog or other assistance.  If you have not received your confirmation call or to cancel your ride, please call 860-285-1992 as soon as possible.  We also transport patrons to the following surrounding towns: East Hartford, Enfield, Farmington, Newington, West Hartford and Windsor Locks.


Directions to Windsor Town Hall

(see end of document)


Disability Services

Case management services and eligibility screening are available for adults with disabilities. For additional information, please call Social Services at 860-285-1839.


Dog Licenses

Every dog over 6 months of age must be licensed annually. The license is valid from July through the following June and can be obtained at the Town Clerk's Office. Proof of a valid rabies shot must be provided before a license can be issued. With proof of spaying or neutering, a license will cost $8 and an unaltered dog will cost $19.  Please call 860-285-1902 or go online to townclerk for more information.



State law prohibits owners from allowing their dogs to roam.  There is a 1/3 acre dog park with two play areas located at Northwest Park at 104 Lang Road.  Information may be found at windsordogpark.org.


Dog Pound/Animal Control Officer

The Dog Pound is located on Mechanic Street next to the commuter parking lot. To claim your lost dog or to adopt a dog, please call the Animal Control Officer at 860-688-5273 ext. 556.



To report a clogged or damaged drain or for information about storm water drainage projects, please call 860-285-1855.





Economic Development

Brochures and information may be obtained by calling Windsor’s Economic Development Director at 860-285-1877.  For information regarding the Bradley Development League, please call 860-285-1877 or First Town Downtown at 860-683-5715 or visit their website at firsttowndowntown.org.


Elderly /Disabled Housing

Offices for the Elderly and Disabled Housing, Section 8 and Fitch Court Apartments are located at Windsor Housing Authority at 156 Bloomfield Avenue.  For information about Elderly and Disabled Housing, call 860-285-8090.



Elections are held on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November. Municipal elections take place in odd-numbered years, State elections in even-numbered years and Presidential elections take place every four years. For additional information, please  call the Registrars of Voters at 860-285-1955, 860-285-1957, 860- 285-1958, or the Town Clerk’s Office at 860-285-1902.


Electrical Permits

Call the Building and Land Development Team at 860-285-1960 or visit their website at building department.


Emergency Management - See Civil Preparedness.


Emergency School Closing

Announcements will be made on local radio and TV stations in case of inclement weather or other emergency closing.  Call 860-687-2000, ext. 180 for an up-to-date recorded message.


Emergency Numbers

Dial 9-1-1 for any emergency.


Emissions Inspection

Call 1-888-828-8399 for information about the State of Connecticut Emissions Testing Program or visit their website at ctemissions (see Automobile Emissions).





Fax Machine for Public Use

Various businesses in town have fax machines for public use. Windsor Library has a self-service machine that can both send and receive faxes. Call 860-285-1918 for more information.



To report a fire, please call 9-1-1.


Fire Department

The Windsor Volunteer Fire Department consists of approximately 120 volunteer firefighters and a volunteer Fire Chief. For information about volunteering, call 860-285-1983 or visit their website at fire department.


Fire Districts (Wilson and Windsor)

Fire Districts were established by the State Legislature in the late 19th Century and the early years of the 20th Century. These districts were brought into existence to provide services such as fire protection, street and sidewalk repair, ash and trash pick-up, etc. To pay for this service, Fire Districts also had the power to levy and collect taxes.


Town government provides services formerly provided by Fire Districts.  All residents of Windsor receive police and fire protection, street maintenance, snow removal, sidewalk repair, street lights and many other services.  Residents of the Windsor Fire District (Windsor Center area) or the Wilson Fire District (south of Wolcott Avenue) pay an additional tax each year on real and personal property.  These two fire districts contract for rubbish pick-up within their district.  If you live in one of the fire districts and have questions regarding rubbish pick up, please call:


Wilson Fire District, Ken Shuckerow at 860-389-4966


Windsor Fire District, Bruce MacClintic at 860-688-3415



Fire Hydrants

Per town ordinance, the homeowner/business is responsible for the clearing of hydrants.


Fire Marshal

The Fire Marshal is responsible for fire code administration, arson investigation, fire prevention and fire education programs. For additional information, please call 860-285-1970 or 860-285-1971.


Fire Reports

Most insurance companies require their policy holders to provide a copy of the Fire Department Incident Report when they have had a fire loss. These reports are available by contacting the Fire Marshal's office at 860-285-1970 or 860-285-1971.


Flu Clinics

Clinics are held every fall for Windsor’s elderly and residents with chronic health problems. For additional information, please call the Health and Environment Department at 860-285-1823.


Food Bank

The Windsor Food Bank is located at the L.P. Wilson Community Center. It is open on Mondays and Tuesdays from 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and Wednesdays from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. and Thursdays from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. – 6:45 p.m.  It is closed on Fridays.  The Food bank is a joint effort of Windsor Social Services and the Windsor Community Service Council.  The Windsor Food Bank assists Windsor residents who are experiencing financial difficulties and those who need supplemental food assistance.  Please call 860-285-1839 with any questions or visit the website at social services.


Food Safety

Information concerning food safety, regulations pertaining to food handling, and permits for temporary food vending, please call the Health Department at 860-285-1823.


Foot Care Clinic

Foot nurses are at the Senior Center once a month. The cost is $29.  For an appointment, please call 860-285-1992.


Fuel Assistance

The Connecticut Energy Assistance program assists qualified households with energy assistance in the fall and winter each year.  The office is located at the L.P. Wilson Center.  For an appointment, please call  860-560-5800.  The Windsor Fuel Bank may be able to provide additional assistance to Windsor residents when you have exhausted the CT Energy Assistance Program’s benefits and need additional assistance.  Help with your electric bill may also be available.  Please call Social Services at 860-285-1839 for more information.


Operation Fuel, FEMA and the Windsor Fuel Bank may be able to help when a person does not qualify for CRT.  Please call 860-285-1839 for more  information.





Garbage Collection

(See Transfer Station)


Golden Fellowship Club

This is a social group for people 60 and over. The club meets at 1:00 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month, September through June, at the L.P. Wilson Community Center. Please call 860-285-1992 for more information.


Government, State

(senators, legislators) - see "State"


Grass Clippings

Disposal of grass is prohibited in Connecticut.  Therefore, the landfill does not accept grass clippings.  The Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection suggests that residents use either mulching mowers or manage the clippings by "grass cycling."  See the CT DEEP website at www.ct.gov/deep for more information.


Gun & Pistol Permits

Issued by the Police Department located at 340 Bloomfield Avenue.  Please call 860-688-5273.





Handicapped Parking Permits

Please contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at 860-263-5700 for additional information.


Hazardous Materials

The Windsor-Bloomfield Residential Transfer Station cannot accept hazardous materials.  Residents of Windsor should bring their household hazardous wastes to a MDC Household Hazardous Waste collection event.  These are typically held on Saturdays in the various MDC towns in the area.  Residents can go to the MDC website, www.themdc.com, or call 860-278-7850 and press "2" for further information on these collections.


Head Start

Head Start is a federally funded preschool program for low income children located at the Milo W. Peck Child Development Center, 114 Palisado Avenue.  For more information, please call 860-687-1643.


Hearing Tests

For information regarding hearing clinics and hearing aid cleaning and checking, please call Senior Services at 860-285-1992.


Historic District

There are two historic districts - the Broad Street Green Historic District and the Palisado Avenue Historic District which is located just north of the Farmington River along Palisado Avenue to Bissell Ferry Road.  The National Register also includes structures under the heading "Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Brick Architecture of Windsor."  The Historic District Commission oversees requests by residents to change the appearance of property located in the historic district.  Please call 860-285-1980 for more information.



Historic Sites/Places:



Public places


   Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House - c1767 - 108 Palisado Avenue - 860-683-3813 or  

   windsorhistoricalsociety - see "Museums"


   Oliver Ellsworth Homestead - constructed in 1780/1781

   778 Palisado Avenue - 860-688-8717 – Ellsworth Homestead - see 



   Elm Grove Mortuay Chapel - established in 1893

   1340 Poquonock Avenue


   Farmington River Railroad Bridge - established in 1867

   seen from the Palisado Bridge near First Church


   First Church in Windsor - present meeting house erected in 1794 -

   107 Palisado Avenue - organized in 1630 and is the oldest Congregational

   Church in America.  The adjoining Burial Ground contains the oldest tombstone

   in the State dated 1644. 860-688-7229


  First English Settlement Stone - located on the Loomis Chaffe campus


   Luddy/Taylor Connecticut Valley Tobacco Museum

   located at Northwest Park - 860-285-1888 – Tobacco Museum - see "Museums"


   Railroad Station & Freight House - established in 1870

   Central Street


   Stony Hill School - established in 1850

   1185 Windsor Avenue - 860-683-8923


   Strong House - c1758

   96 Palisado Avenue - 860-688-3813 - windsorhistoricalsociety - see "Museums"



Private Residences


   Elijah Barber House - constructed in 1790
   227 Windsor Avenue


   Huntington House - constructed in 1901

   289 Broad Street


   Benoni Case House - constructed in 1834

   436 Rainbow Road


   Edgar & Anna Mosler House - constructed in 1870

   1879 Poquonock Avenue


   Captain Nathaniel Hayden House - constructed in 1763

   128 Hayden Station Road


   Amy Archer House - constructed in 1880

   37 Prospect Street


   Elihu & Annie Winchell House - constructed in 1865

   37 Prospect Street


   William Phelps House - constructed in 1670

   122 East Street


   Hodge & Co. Paper Mill - constructed in 1855

   347 Rainbow Road



Historical Society

The Windsor Historical Society, founded in 1921, preserves and interprets Windsor's history through exhibitions, educational programs, publications, active collecting and research.  Its facilities include the 1758  John and Sarah Strong House, the 1767 Hezekiah Chaffee House, two exhibition galleries, an extensive research library, Hands-On-History Learning Center, museum gift shop and historic herb garden.  The Society is located at 96 Palisado Avenue and is open to the public Wednesday - Saturday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. For more information, call 860-688-3813 or visit their website at windsorhistoricalsociety.org.


Home Bound Delivery Service for Library Materials

Any Windsor resident who is confined to his/her home is welcome to receive free delivery of library materials from local volunteers.  Call 860-285-1912.


Housing Authority

The Housing Authority of the Town of Windsor is located at 156 Bloomfield Avenue, Windsor, CT 06095.  Offices for the Elderly and Disabled Housing, Section 8 and Fitch Court Apartments are located at this address. Call 860-285-8090 for more information.


House Numbering

Proper house numbers are required by town ordinance and numbering is important for your safety. In an emergency, valuable time is lost if Police, Fire, or Ambulance personnel cannot locate your house. House numbers must be plain block numbers 3" high. Place the number so it can be lighted at night or is on a fence or mail box where vehicle lights will illuminate it. Place it so it is clearly visible when approaching from either direction.





Ice Skating

Are the skating ponds open? Call the recreation Info line at 860-285-1988.



For more information, please call the Department of Homeland Security at 1-800-375-5283 or visit the website at www.USCIS.gov.


Information Services

If you have a question regarding town services, please call Information Services at 860-285-1902 and/or 860-285-1800.


Inland Wetlands Regulations

Maps are available in the Planning Department as well as regulations which are also available online at planning.  A Wetlands Permit is required for work within regulated areas.  A regulated area is 150 feet from the edge of a wetland or watercourse as defined by the State of Connecticut.  Please call 860-285-1987 for more information.


Insects - See Agricultural Experiment Station (State of CT)

Located at 153 Cook Hill Road - 860-683-4977



Find the Town of Windsor at http://www.townofwindsorct.com






Job Bank

Windsor's Senior Job Bank serves as a referral location by posting jobs that are sent to us.  These positions are available to any person age 55 and older and adults with disabilities. For more information, please call 860-285-1992.


Jobs - Working Papers for Windsor Teenagers

Windsor teens may obtain working papers in the Career Resource Center at Windsor High School, 50 Sage Park Road.  Applicants must appear in person and must bring proof of age and a completed promise of employment.  For more information, call 860-687-2020 ext. 384 or visit www.windsorct.org and click on the following: ‘schools’, ‘Windsor high’, ‘visit site’, ‘school counseling’, and then under ‘forms’ click on ‘working papers for teens.’


Junk Cars

Windsor Police (per Town Ordinance) handle enforcement.  For additional information, please call the Police Department non-emergency number at 860-688-5273 ext. 501.


Justice of the Peace
A list of Windsor Justices of the Peace, who normally perform marriages, is available on the Town Clerk’s Office website at townclerk.  Every 4 years, the major political parties recommend a slate of people to become Justices. In addition, at that time, the Town Clerk may appoint unaffiliated or minor party voters.  During the ensuing 4 years, the major political parties may continue to appoint Justices to maintain their quota, however, unaffiliated or minor party voters may not be appointed.





Kerosene Heaters

Kerosene heaters are not permitted to be used in any building in Windsor. For additional information, please call 860-285-1971.






(See Transfer Station)


Leaf Collection

Please contact the Transfer Station for up-to-date information at 860-285-1833 or visit the website at Public Works.


League of Women Voters of Windsor

The Windsor League of Women Voters is a non-partisan, non-profit, volunteer, grassroots organization whose mission is first to encourage the informed and active participation of all citizens in government and second to increase understanding of major public policy issues and to influence public policy through education and advocacy. For more information, visit the Windsor League's website at www.lwvct.org/windsor.




The Windsor Public Library at 323 Broad Street is located at the south end of the Town Green at the corner of Broad Street and Batchelder Road. Parking is on the east side of the building. The Book Return, open 24/7, is on the south side of the building near Batchelder Road.  Library hours are Monday - Thursday from 10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m., Fri 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. and Sundays closed.


·         Lending Desk (phone renewals, fines, library cards) - 860-285-1910

·         Meeting Room & Quiet Study Room Bookings - 860-285-1913

·         Reference Desk (requests for materials or information, public computers, Internet access,

·         computer bookings) - 860-285-1918

·         Kidspace Desk for information about children’s programs & museum passes - 860-285-1914

·         Home Bound Delivery Service - 860-285-1912

·         Windsor Library’s Home Page (both Main & Wilson) www.windsorlibrary.com 


Citizens can access many library materials from home through the library's website at windsorlibrary.com. The website provides downloadable audio books, full text magazines, newspapers and research journals, online auto repair manuals, online test preparation for academic and civil service exams, business directories and more. 


The Wilson Branch Library at 365 Windsor Avenue is located south of the I-291 overpass at the corner of Windsor Avenue and Faneuil Street. Wilson Library hours are Monday from 10:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m., Tuesday - Friday from 10:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. and closed on Sunday.


For information about the Wilson Branch materials and tutoring program, please call 860-247-8960.  For information about other programs or to make an appointment for notary services, please call 860-285-1931.




Sporting licenses (fishing, hunting, and trapping) are available at the Town Clerk’s Office. Hunters must show hunter safety certification or a previous (within 5 years) resident hunting license. State of Connecticut Conservation/Firearms Safety Course information can be found by calling 860-675-8130 or 860-642-7239. Children under 16 do not need a fishing license. A Junior Hunting license is $11 and a hunter's safety certification must be shown. For more information, call the Town Clerk's office at 860-285-1902.


Resident fishing license is $28, hunting license is $19 and a combination license (hunting & fishing) is $40.  Pheasant stamp is $28 and a state duck stamp is $13.  Licenses are good for the calendar year.  Available in December for a special holiday gift for the sportsperson in your family!  For more information, call the Town Clerk's office at 860-285-1902.


Free fishing licenses are available for blind and/or intellectually disabled persons.  Proof of blindness will be in a form of a certificate from the US Veterans Administration or from the Connecticut Department of Education for the Blind.  Proof of intellectual disability will be in the form of a certificate issued by any person licensed to practice medicine and surgery in the State of Connecticut.  For more information, call the Town Clerk's office at 860-285-1902.


Lifetime Licenses - to qualify for this free license, one must have reached the age of 65 and have been a resident of the State for not less than one year.  Licenses must be renewed annually.  For more information, call the Town Clerk's office at 860-285-1902.


Dog Licenses are available at the Town Clerk's office. Cost is $19 for a male or female and $8 for a neutered or spayed dog.


For additional information on licenses, please contact the Town Clerk's office at 860-285-1902 or visit their website at townclerk.






Town maps are available at the Town Clerk’s Office at 860-285-1902.  Plot plans are available from the Building and Land team in Town Hall at 860-285-1960.  Aerial maps are available from the Engineering Department at 860-285-1861.


Marriage Licenses

A marriage license is valid for 65 days and may be obtained in the town in which the marriage occurs or the town of residence of either parties.  At the time the certificate is obtained, the couple must declare the location of their ceremony.  Both parties must appear to sign their marriage certificate.  There is no waiting period in Connecticut. As soon as the license is issued, the couple may join.  The license fee is $30.  For additional information, please call 860-285-1902.



This program provides one or two meals per day 7 days a week and is managed by the Visiting Nurses Association and a volunteer coordinator.  Volunteer drivers handle delivery of meals. For additional information, please call Visiting Nurses at 203-330-5538.  The Community Renewal Team (CRT) also has a meals-on-wheels program that services Windsor.  Call 860-560-5800 for more information.


Medical Equipment Loans

Used medical equipment such as walkers, wheelchairs, bath and shower chairs and other equipment is available at no cost to Windsor residents at the Senior Loaning Closet located at the Senior Center. The Loaning Closet also accepts donations of used medical equipment in clean working condition.  Call 860-285-1992.


Meeting Rooms

The Community Center located at 330 Windsor Avenue and the Windsor Library have meeting rooms (capacity up to 200) which are available to Windsor-based non-profit organizations.  Please call the Library at 860-285-1913 or the L.P. Wilson Community Center at 860-285-1990 for more information.  An insurance certificate is required to use a town or Board of Education facility.  Contact the Risk Manager at 860-285-1851 for minimum limits of the insurance requirements.  See Room Rentals for more information.


Metropolitan District Commission (MDC)

MDC provides water and sewer service to Windsor, one of its eight member towns. For problems concerning water, please call 860-278-7850.  MDC’s sewage plant is located at 1222 Poquonock Avenue, Windsor.


Mill Rate

The property tax rate is determined by dividing the total amount of the budget of the town by the Net Taxable Grand List that is produced by the Town Assessor.  The Net Taxable Grand List is a listing of all the taxable Real Estate, Motor Vehicles, and Personal Property in the town as of the assessment date of October 1.  A tax rate of one mill produces $1 of taxes on each $1,000 of property assessment.


The voters of the Town of Windsor have the ultimate choice as to what the mill rate will be by their participation in the budget meetings in April and the annual town meeting or budget referendum in May.  Once the budget has been approved by the citizens via referendum, the Town Council simply does the math and sets the rate.


Montessori School

The Windsor Montessori School is located at the Milo W. Peck Child Development Center, 114 Palisado Avenue.  The Windsor Montessori School serves children ages 18 months to 6 years old.  The school is accredited by the National Association for Education of Young Children and American Montessori Society. For more information, please call 860-285-1400 or visit their website at montessori.


Motor Vehicles - Ct. Department of


Enfield Office

Enfield Office – I-91 North to Exit 48, Right off Exit onto Elm Street. Follow Elm Street to a fork in the road. Bear left to Shaker Road (RT 220). Take a right at the second light onto George Washington Street. The second left off of Washington Street is Pearson Way. The Motor Vehicle Department is located at 4 Pearson Way, Enfield, CT.  Their website is www.ct.gov/dmv.  Hours of operation are: Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 7:45 a.m. – 4 p.m., Thursdays from 9:15 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.  The Enfield office offers limited services.



For information on steps you can take to minimize mosquito infestation, call the Health and Environment Department at 860-285-1823.



Museums & Historic Places (also see Historic Sites)


Historic places of interest in Windsor:


The Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, located at 108 Palisado Avenue, was built in about 1767 and was home to several generations of the Chaffee family, an 18th century doctor's office and the location of the Chaffee School for Girls in the 20th century.  For more information, please call 860-688-3813 or visit the website at windsorhistoricalsociety.org.


Ellsworth Homestead, located at 778 Palisado Avenue, was built in 1780/1781 as the home of Oliver Ellsworth, a framer of the United States Constitution, Connecticut's first senator, third Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court and envoy to France after the Revolution. Operated as a museum by the Connecticut Daughters of the American Revolution, "Elmwood" is open to visitors May 15 - October 15 on most Fridays and Saturdays from noon until 4:00 p.m.  Reservations for group tours are welcome. For more information, please call 860-688-8717 or go to www.ellsworthhomesteaddar.org


Luddy/Taylor Connecticut Valley Tobacco Museum, located at Northwest Park off Lang Road, features exhibits from Windsor’s tobacco farms.  The museum consists of two buildings: one was remodeled to accommodate exhibits of early and modern equipment used to grow tobacco and the other houses photographs, writings and documents relating to the history of tobacco farming in Windsor (see Windsor Historical Society and National Register.)  For more information, please call 860-285-1888 or visit the website at Tobacco Museum.


John and Sarah Strong House, located at 96 Palisado Avenue, was built c1758 and housed Windsor's first post office and a small general store in the 18th century and later was the first home of the Windsor Historical Society.  For more information, contact the Society at 860-688-3813 or visit the website at windsorhistoricalsociety.org.


The Vintage Radio and Communications Museum of Connecticut, located at 115 Pierson Lane, is dedicated to the preservation of old time communications equipment and to educating the public about its history.  Part science museum and part history museum, it has hands-on displays of radios, televisions, telephones, telegraphs, motion picture equipment and much more!  For more information, please call 860-683-2903 or 860-673-0518 or visit the website at vrcmct.org.


The Windsor Historical Society, located at 96 Palisado Avenue, was founded in 1921 and preserves and interprets Windsor's history through exhibitions, education programs, publications, active collecting and research.  Its facilities include the 1758 John and Sarah Strong House, the 1767 Hezekiah Chaffee House, two exhibition galleries, an extensive research library, Hands-On-History Learning Center, museum gift shop and historic herb garden.  The Society is open to the public Wednesday-Saturday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.  For more information call 860-683-3813 or visit the website at windsorhistoricalsociety.





Notary Public

Registered public notaries are available at the Town Clerk’s Office, or you may call for an appointment at the L.P. Wilson Community Center at 860-285-1839 or the Wilson Library at 860-285-1931. The cost for each Notary Seal is $2.00.  Please make sure that your documents are complete.  All dates and dollar amounts must be filled in.  If your document requires witnesses, you must bring your witnesses with you.  We do not witness documents.


The signer must be present and show adequate identification (a photo ID is required as well as a separate signature or additional photo ID.)  Per State Statute, a P.O. Box is not an acceptable address.  If a parent or guardian is signing the document, please provide adequate identification.  In the case of a guardian, please bring the paperwork showing the identifying authority and the paperwork provided by probate court (guardianship papers).  Please be advised that if you wish to have your document notarized, the notary public must see the entire document. If your document is confidential, you may want to take it to an attorney to notarize.


The Town Clerk's Office does not notarize Wills or Living Wills. These documents should be notarized by an attorney.  Documents written in a foreign language cannot be notarized.  Contact the Secretary of the State's Office, Notary Division at 860-509-6137 and request the name of a notary who can read your documents.





Open Air Fires

No open burning is allowed in the Town of Windsor. Call 860-285-1970.



A copy of the Town Ordinances are kept in the Town Clerk's Office, libraries and various town departments.  Copies of pages may be made for $.50 each.  The Town Ordinances are also available for review through the town’s website at townclerk.





Parent Center

The Windsor Parent Center is located at the Milo W. Peck Child Development Center, 114 Palisado Avenue.  It offers a variety of programs for small children and their caregivers during the day and in the evenings.  For more information, please call 860-285-1400 or visit their website at parentcenter.


Parks, Trails, and Recreational Facilities in Windsor


·         Bissell Bridge Walkway and Boat Launch begins on the Windsor side of the State Boat Launch at the end of East Barber Street and is approximately 1.8 miles long parallel to I-291. 


·         Custer Park is located off Custer Drive and offers a basketball court and open fields for activities for families and groups. 


·         Deerfield Park is located off Deerfield Road with entrances on Seymour Street and Colton Street. It offers a basketball court, a playground and open fields for activities for families and groups. 


·         Matianuck State Park trail is 1.5 miles long. It is located in the town’s southwest corner at the commuter parking lot on the south side of Route 218 and a quarter mile west of the entrance to I-291- Southwest Park and Keney Park.  The Matianuck State Park also contains one of the last active dune systems in the state. Keney Park (mostly located in Hartford) adjoins Southwest Park and Matianuck State Park. 


·         Northwest Park is a 473-acre facility located at 145 Lang Road and is open dawn-to-dusk. It is home to a Nature Center, Tobacco Cultural Museum and Archive, maple sugar house, warming shed and cross-country ski rental center, community gardens, picnic area, world-class soccer fields, a playground and an animal barn. 


·         Sharshon Park is located on Skitchewaug Street and has a pavilion and basketball court, a playground, summer aqua-fountain, ice skating and a field for softball.


·         Stroh Park, located off Ford Road offers summer swimming at Goslee Pool, tennis and basketball courts, a playground and a picnic area. 


·         Trent Park is located off Bloomfield Avenue and Stratford Court and offers a softball field and basketball court.


·         Washington Park on Lennox Avenue, near Windsor Center, has a playground, grills, summer aqua-fountain and fields for volleyball and softball. 


·         Welch Park is in Poquonock on the Farmington River and has space for walking and jogging as well as a lighted baseball field, a softball field, basketball and tennis courts (which are also used for ice skating in winter), grills and picnic tables, a playground and Welch Park pool. 


·         The Windsor Center Trail is located on a 43-acre site adjacent to the Farmington River at Route 159. This trail is 1.25 miles long and has direct access to over 2,000 feet of river.


·         Windsor High School ball fields, pools, basketball courts, track & field, and tennis courts are located at 50 Sage Park Road. Lighted tennis courts are located at the L.P. Wilson Community Center, 599 Matianuck Avenue.



Parking Bans

Parking on town streets is banned between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. from November 15 to April 15.  Call the non-emergency Police Department number at 860-688-5273 for more information.


Parking Tickets

Parking tickets issued by the Windsor Police Department may be mailed or paid in person at the Tax Collector’s Office at Town Hall.  To question or protest a parking ticket, contact the Windsor Police at 860-688-5273.  Speeding tickets are not handled at the Tax Collector's Office.  Refer to the ticket for that information.


Planning and Zoning

Windsor’s Town Planning and Zoning Commission (TP&Z) meets the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at Town Hall. For a list of Commissioners or for information regarding an application for a zoning variance, call 860-285-1980 or visit their website at Planning. Click on the Town Planning & Zoning Commission link found on the bottom of the page to go to the Town Planning & Zoning Commission website.


Poison Control Center

Contact the 24-hour Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.


Post Offices


Windsor Center Post Office, 245 Broad Street - 860-688-5259


Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.


Poquonock Post Office, 1771 Poquonock Avenue - 860-687-6928


Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 2: 00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and

Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.


Probate Court - Greater Windsor Probate Court, 1540 Sullivan Avenue, South Windsor - 860-644-2511 ext. 371. http://www.southwindsor.org/probate-court


Public Transportation

Bus service is provided by Connecticut Transit. For information and schedules call 860-525-9181. Train service is provided by AMTRAK.  Trains run through Windsor from Springfield to New Haven with connections to Boston and New York. For information call 1-800-872-7245.



Q - R



Windsor’s real estate records, maps, vital statistics, election records and various other records are maintained in the town vault in the Town Clerk’s Office at 860-285-1902.



Recyclables are picked up by Windsor Sanitation. Call 860-688-3955 with any questions or to obtain a recycling bin.  There is also a "Take it or Leave it" area at the Transfer Station where residents can leave items in usable condition or take items for their own use.  A household hazardous waste collection day is scheduled each spring in Windsor.  For more information call the Metropolitan District Commission at 860-285-1833.


Registrar of Voters

Voter registration cards are available at the Library, Town Hall or the Motor Vehicle Department.  This card can be mailed in or dropped off in the Town Hall at the Registrar of Voters or the Town Clerk's Office.  For more information call 860-285-1955, 860-285-1957, 860-285-1958 or visit the website at registrar.


Room Rentals

Meeting room rentals are available in several locations.  


·         The Community Center is located at 330 Windsor Avenue.  Please call the L.P. Wilson Community Center at 860-285-1990 for more information.  

·         The Windsor Public Library is located at the south end of the Town Green.  It has a large community room, a small conference room for 12 and 3 quiet study rooms.  Please call 860-285-1913 for more information.  

·         Wilson Branch Library located at 365 Windsor Avenue.  Please call 860-285-1931 for information about that space or visit windsorlibrary.com.





Sand & Salt

The Town places sand and salt piles for residential use in the parking lots at Sharshon Park (Skitchewaug off Windsor Avenue), the L.P. Wilson Community Center (599 Matianuck Avenue), Mechanic Street (behind Town Hall next to the dog pound), Oliver Ellsworth School (Kennedy Road), Poquonock Firehouse (1575 Poquonock Avenue), Rainbow Firehouse (750 Rainbow Road), Windsor-Bloomfield Landfill (Huckleberry Road) and the Public Works Complex at 99 Day Hill Road.


School Closings Information Line/Website

The Board of Education Administrative offices maintains an information hotline at 860-687-2000, ext. 180.  It has school closings and delayed opening information. Customized email notification is available through the Connecticut Weather Center's website.  Directions:  Go to www.ctweather.com and scroll down the menu on the left to "e-notification," click on that and then click on "schools."  At this point complete the registration process by submitting your email address.  Within 72 hours you will receive a confirmation request. Reply to the request by clicking on the link and follow the directions to access your account by selecting Windsor in the pull-down menu.


Senior Center

Located at the L.P. Wilson Community Center, the Senior Center is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.  The Senior Center offers a wide variety of physical, educational and health-related programs to serve seniors in our community.  Please call 860-285-1992 for additional information or visit their website at seniorservices.


Senior Lunch

Lunch is served Monday through Friday at 11:45 a.m. at the Senior Center at the L.P. Wilson Community Center. Please make a reservation by noon the day before. Call 860-285-1843.


Senior Transportation

The Windsor Senior Transportation Unit coordinates all senior transportation programs including Dial-a-Ride, Caring Connection, special evening/weekend trips and medical appointments.  The Senior Transportation office is located at 599 Matianuck Avenue within the L.P. Wilson Community Center.  The hours of operation are Monday-Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.  To speak with the Senior Transportation Coordinator directly, please call 860-285-1996.  For more information on Dial-a-Ride (for in-town and out-of-town appointments) or Caring Connection see those respective listings in this Guide.


Shad Derby

The Shad Derby is an annual festival sponsored by the Windsor Shad Fest Bureau, Inc., P.O. Box 502, Windsor. It is held the third Saturday in May on the Town Green. For additional information, please visit their website at windsorshadderby.


Shut-in Library Service - See Home Bound Library Service


Social Security Administration

One Corporate Center Building, Suite 900, 20 Church Street, Hartford, CT 06103 – 1-877-619-2851 or 1-800-772-1213. Hartford location hours: Monday & Tuesday from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.; Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & Thursday & Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Closed Saturday.


Social Services

The Social Services staff in the Town of Windsor directly administers and coordinates a variety of community-based services.  These include programs which provide services to Windsor residents to assist them to remain in their homes and to avoid placement in nursing homes.  Programs like Friendly Visitors, Friendly Shoppers and Home Helpers provide help with shopping, doing minor tasks around the house or simply having someone to spend a little time with each week.  Other programs give you the opportunity to help others with their needs.  To find out more information about how to receive these services or to help you become more involved in your community, call 860-285-1839 or go online at Social Services.


Social Services also provides case management, information and referral, and assistance with applying for state and federal programs.  For more information or to speak with a case worker, please call 860-285-1839 or visit the website at Social Services.


State Government


State Senator Douglas McCrory

Legislative Office Building, Room 1000, Hartford, CT 06106-1591

1-800-842-1420 or (Capitol) 860-240-8600

email: http://www.senatedems.ct.gov/mccrory-contact



State Senator John A. Kissel

Legislative Office Building, Room 3400, Hartford, CT 06106-1591

1-800-842-1421 or (Capitol) 860-240-0531

email: John.A.Kissel@cga.ct.gov



State Representative David A. Baram

Legislative Office Building, Room 5006, Hartford, CT 06106

1-800-842-1902 or (Capitol) 860-240-8585

email: David.Baram@cga.ct.gov



State Representative Brandon McGee

Legislative Office Building, Room 4000, Hartford, CT 06106-1591

1-800-842-8267 or (Capitol) 860-240-8585

email:  Brandon.McGee @cga.ct.gov



State Representative Tami Zawistowski

Legislative Office Building, Room 4200, Hartford, CT 06106

1-800-842-1423 or (Capitol) 860-240-8700

email:  Tami.zawistowski@housegop.ct.gov



State Representative Scott Storms

Legislative Office Building, Room 4200, Hartford, CT 06106-1519

1-800-842-1423 or (Capitol) 860-240-8700

email:  scott.storms@housegop.ct.gov



Street Lighting and Street Light Repairs

To report street light problems, call 860-285-1855.





Tax Help

Trained AARP volunteers are available for seniors during the tax season to help prepare state and federal tax returns. For appointments for income tax assistance, please call 860-285-1992.


Tax Relief

Several assessment exemptions and benefits are available to qualified taxpayers. For information please call the Assessor’s Office at 860-285-1819.


Town Green Activities & Sign Placement

The Town Clerk’s Office maintains a calendar of events for all Town Green activities.  Organizations must fill out an application to reserve the Town Green. Guidelines for placing a sign on the Town Green or for erecting a booth can be obtained by calling 860- 285-1902.


Town Hall

Town Hall is located at 275 Broad Street and is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


Traffic Signals

To report a malfunctioning traffic signal call the Windsor Police at 860-688-5273.


Train Service - See Public Transportation.


Transfer Station


The Windsor Transfer Station is located at 500 Huckleberry Road (off Prospect Hill Road) in the northwest section of town. Residents of Windsor and Bloomfield are allowed to use the Transfer Station for non-commercial loads of household wastes. Permits are available at the Transfer Station. The hours of operation are as follows:

Monday & Friday from 8:00 AM to 2:45 PM

Tuesday & Wednesday from 10:00 AM to 2:45 PM

Saturdays from 8:00 AM to 3:45 PM

Closed on Thursdays and Sundays


For more information call 860-285-1833 or go to: http://www.townofwindsorct.com/publicworks/index.php?page=121


Trash Collection

The Town of Windsor does not provide a trash collection service. Curbside trash pickup is provided by Windsor Sanitation. For more information call 860-688-3955. Residents of Windsor and Bloomfield are allowed to use the Transfer Station for non-commercial loads of household wastes. Residents living in the Windsor and Wilson Fire Districts receive trash collection service, which is paid by an additional tax.






Cable – Comcast Cable at 1-866-200-6680

Electric - Connecticut Light and Power Company at 1-800-286-2000

Gas - Connecticut Natural Gas Corporation at 1-860-524-8361 or Yankee Gas at 1-800-989-0900 or 1-800-992-3427 for emergencies

Oil - Check the Windsor phone directory for local dealers and service

Telephone – AT&T at 1-203-420-3131; 6-1-1 for residential repair service

Water and sewer - Metropolitan District at 860-278-7850





Veterans Memorial Cemetery

The Public Works Department installs the headstones and maintains the grounds at Veterans Memorial Cemetery located on East Street in Windsor.  The headstones are ordered by the funeral home and delivered to Public Works for installation.  For more information call the Public Works Department at 860-285-1855 or go online to cemetery/index.html.



It is one of the easiest and more important things you can do for your community.


Voter Registration

Voter registration cards are available at the Library, Town Hall or any Connecticut  Motor Vehicle Department. This card can be mailed in or dropped off at the Registrar of Voters or the Town Clerk’s Office. Voters can find out where their voting poll is by calling the Registrar of Voters at 860-285-1955, 860-285-1957 or 860-285-1958. If the Registrars are not available, the Town Clerk's Office has a list of streets and corresponding polling places or you may visit the town website for polling information at registrar. To schedule a ride to a polling place, call your affiliated registrar:  Democrat 860-285-1958 or Republican 860-285-1957.





Windsor Art Center at the Freight House (WACFH)

Located at 40 Mechanic Street, the non-collecting arts center has as its main goal the production of exhibitions and programs that reflect and enhance the artistic life of the region.  The non-profit WACFH will showcase both visual and performing artists, provide workshops, and educate and entertain the public.  To learn about current shows and programs, call 860-688-2528 or visit the website at http://www.windsorartcenter.org.



WIN-TV includes Channel 5 Public Access, Channel 95 Education and Channel 96 Government.  These are the local cable access channels.  Channel offices and the production studio for WIN-TV are located at the L.P. Wilson Community Center, 599 Matianuck Avenue.  For more information about community access channels, call 860-688-2626 or go on line at www.win-tv.org.  For information on the government channel, call 860-285-1835.



Directions to the Windsor Town Hall

From I - 91 (North or South)
Take Exit 36 (Park Avenue - Route 178)
If traveling North, at end of ramp take a right.
If traveling South, at end of ramp take a left.
Continue to a traffic light at a T intersection.
Turn left onto Broad Street.
Travel approximately 1 mile, Town Hall will be on the right.
Continue past the Town Hall to the traffic light.
At the light, turn right, continue straight to the Town Hall parking lot





24-Hour Information Lines
Recreation Programs 860-285-1988
Senior Programs 860-285-1989
24-Hour Call-Back Line 860-285-1805

Administrative Offices 


Emergency Closing Information


Prerecorded Message 

Ext. 180

Instructional Services

Ext. 232

Pupil Personnel Services

Ext. 238

Special Education

Ext. 240

Student Enrollment

Ext. 242

Superintendent's Office

Ext. 236

Transportation Service

Ext. 246

Clover Street School


John F. Kennedy School


Oliver Ellsworth School


Poquonock School


Roger Wolcott School


Sage Park Middle School


Windsor High School